Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Tatted wedding veil

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Tatted wedding veil Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tatted wedding veil - 1/30/2012 8:16:44 PM   
Fiberholic

My son's girlfriend has requested that I tat her wedding veil. They plan to marry in fall of 2013 so I have time. But I cannot find a pattern. I could alter a curtain tablecloth or runner pattern but I would love to find an actual pattern. I plan to use motifs to make it easier on myself and to guard against errors. Has anyone else attempted this? Should I use cotton or silk thread? She wants it to be fingertip length.

Fiberholic
Post #: 1
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 1/30/2012 8:54:39 PM   
KathyD

I have no clue, but I'm sure it will be beautiful!

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to Fiberholic)
Post #: 2
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 1/30/2012 10:18:59 PM   
Nananeva

The hours of work ahead of you boggles my mind! Could you possibly combine tatted lace with tule? Perhaps tatting framing her face, then down each side, and around the bottom edges?

Neva

I sew on: Brother PR600, BL Elegante2, Bernina 830, 1946 Singer Hemstitcher

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 3
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/2/2012 9:41:41 AM   
Linda S.

Have you tatted other things? I think it's wonderful that you know how to do this. This ebay store has some old tatting pattern books
http://stores.ebay.com/Dakota-Prairie-Treasures/Tatting-Patterns-/_i.html?_fsub=9&_sid=40351501&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 and while I didn't immediately see a wedding veil there may be one in there somewhere.

Are you going to tat the entire veil or just go around the edge of tule? Boy, I'd be pushing for the later bigtime! Best of luck to you, and please do show us when you're finished! It would be a real treat to see this done : )

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 4
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/2/2012 9:03:32 PM   
Fiberholic

Thanks to all for the encouragement:) i love the tulle idea but unfortunately she is quite focused on a fully tatted veil. At least i know it will be appreciated. She loves celtic and heirloom. I will keep you posted on progress.i have tatted several small items but nothing like this!

Fiberholic

(in reply to Fiberholic)
Post #: 5
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/3/2012 6:54:21 AM   
DDinDFW

I know it will be beautiful, but has she considered the weight of it? I've never seen a tatted veil, but love tatting. I have a croocheted tablecloth and it is SO heavy I can't imagine putting it on my head!

Please keep us updated as you move along in this project. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

Dana, mom of two growing boys

(in reply to Fiberholic)
Post #: 6
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/3/2012 8:50:17 AM   
Linda S.

Dana has a very good point here, about the weight of a tatted veil. If the bride is concerned about her hair-do, she may want to opt for tulle with a tatted edge ; ) This could be a strong selling point for just doing the edging! I just can't imagine doing one that's all tatted since it would take so long, but maybe this is because I don't do tatting!

I didn't even know anyone made such large pieces using tatting until you brought this up. Now I notice vintage patterns (on e-bay) for tatted shawls and scarves. The pictures were so very beautiful! What a wonderful heirloom this will be, to pass on to future generations of family brides.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 7
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/3/2012 10:26:51 PM   
HandcraftsbyHeather

I am wondering if you may have more success attempting to find a tatted mantilla pattern.

Also, at this link are many many original tatting pattern books. if you scroll way down towards the bottom right are the priscilla needlework tatting books.
if you click on these they may have a mantilla shape or motif pattern that would work. it takes a while for the pdf to open, but it is worth it!
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/publicindex.html

in book 2 there is an exquisite net scarf with tatted appliques. perhaps his fiancee would consider an english or silk net veil with tatted appliques as a lighter option?

this project sounds amazing! do keep us all posted with how it develops.
Heather L

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 8
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/4/2012 12:27:47 PM   
tinkerbell

I don't know if this site does have tatted veils but this site has Priscilla books and Theresa Dillmont books and alot of others that have been out of print for so very long.  The site is called " The antique pattern library"  here is the link:  http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/.  It has everything tatting patterns, blackwork, crochet, knitting, embroidery, needle lace work and so on.  Hope you can find something on this site. 
Tinkerbell

(in reply to HandcraftsbyHeather)
Post #: 9
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/23/2012 7:22:35 PM   
Fiberholic

Good news! We talked and she thinks the tatted edge is perfect. She has a tiara that has been in her family for years so it's"tiara,  tulle, and tatted edging" :) Now I will have time to make them the quilt I wanted to make. I also told her that I wanted to make her garter using lace from my wedding dress. She seemed very pleased. She is such a nice girl. I am looking forward to having her as a daughter-in-law. Thanks to everyone for all the info. I will post periodically to let you know how the project is progressing :)

Fiberholic

(in reply to tinkerbell)
Post #: 10
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/23/2012 9:50:31 PM   
Linda S.

I'm relieved for you! Even though you are only using tatting around the edges, this will still be a time consuming labor of love.

This bride is very blessed to have a future mother-in-law like you who would do this for her, and I'm sure this veil will be cherished forever. I can hardly wait to see the finished veil!

(in reply to Fiberholic)
Post #: 11
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/27/2012 3:26:54 PM   
tattingchris

I like to tat also and when I read your first post I knew that would be a lot of work. I'm glad for you that the bride has changed her mind. I can't wait to see
a few pictures.

Christine

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 2/27/2012 6:37:37 PM   
Ms Rose

I was getting a headache just thinking about the weight of a tatted veil! So glad she changed her mind on that one. I admire anyone who can tat. I took several classes so that I could make tatted edgings to use on ddg's dresses. The only thing I could learn was a deep appreciation for the cost of hand-tatted edgings. That is the hardest thing I ever tried to do. God bless you! Please post pictures. (I don't know how to do that, either.)

(in reply to tattingchris)
Post #: 13
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 3/31/2012 9:57:11 PM   
Fiberholic

New development....my future daughter-in-law invited me to go wedding dress shopping last Saturday at a very nice boutique in her hometown. Naturally, I hopped in the car ASAP and drove the hour and 15 minutes to her hometown. Had a wonderful day with her mom and grandma. She looked gorgeous in every dress she put on. The one she chose had a beautiful veil that went with it. It had an exquisite beadied edging that tatting would take away from. She looked at me very sadly and said, "I really want your tatting to be part of my wedding." I quickly replied, " You know the garter I am making you out of lace from my wedding gown? I will tat on it as much as you want." She smiled, bought the gown and the veil...and now I tat maybe a yard of tatting instead of  about 45 feet! A win-win for all :) Now I will have time to make them the quilt I wanted to do!!!

Fiberholic

(in reply to Ms Rose)
Post #: 14
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 4/1/2012 7:33:50 AM   
DDinDFW

So glad it all worked out! What a sweet young lady to invite you along for dress shopping. I'm a mom of two boys and know my part in future wedding plans (they're only 14 & 8 now) might be very limited.

Want to see this garter, too!

Dana, mom of two growing boys

(in reply to Fiberholic)
Post #: 15
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 4/1/2012 9:19:47 AM   
MLA

What a sweet mother in law and a sweet daughter in law, you both worked together without hurt feelings and trying to please each other. I am so glad she invited you along not many girls would be so thoughtful. She will love the quilt and will get more use of your hard work than only on the wedding things. Good luch with the quilt.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 16
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 4/2/2012 1:57:46 PM   
Linda S.

I'm so glad it all worked out well for all! Your daughter-in-law to be sounds like a sweet girl...how nice you were invited to go dress shopping! The quilt you're making will be greatly appriciated and enjoyed for many years to come and maybe now you'll have a little more time to do other fun wedding things : ) Thanks for sharing the happy news.

(in reply to MLA)
Post #: 17
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 4/5/2012 6:17:00 AM   
Bobette

What an honor to be asked to shop for the weddign dress. I'm glad you will now have time to make the quilt.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 18
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 4/7/2012 9:42:29 AM   
nanax12

Never tried tatting but if you use the smallest thread available, it shouldn't be too terribly heavy. I have crocheted with a size 50 thread before and a 12 hook, it wasn't heavy at all. Kathy

nanax12 http://photobucket.com/nanax11

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 19
RE: Tatted wedding veil - 7/10/2013 11:25:10 AM   
Fiberholic

Wedding was this past weekend. Got the garter done. Tatted 27 inches of edging, used the taffeta from my dress for the "stretchy" part, the lace of my dress with an insertion of blue lace from her grandmother's wedding dress for the lacy part and attached the tatting at the top of the lace to cover the attaching threads. Will post pic as soon as I get everything downloaded from my iphone. (Something else to learn!!!!)Still working on quilt :0

Fiberholic

(in reply to nanax12)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Tatted wedding veil Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy