Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Interfacing bubbles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Interfacing bubbles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 2:08:26 PM   
MonnieM

Well, here I am again.  You all have been very helpful.  Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong when my fusible interfacing gets "bubbles" underneath?  I am following Pellon directions to the letter - says to use DAMP press cloth, set iron at "perm press" and set iron on for 10 seconds - then turn fabric over and steam press other side.  I always get "bubbles."  Any suggestions?

Thank you as always.
MonnieM
Post #: 1
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 2:54:34 PM   
jjdavey

If I remember correctly, that means that something has shrunk, either the interfacing or the fabric.  I will sometimes "Pre-shrink" my interfacing by hitting it with a shot of steam before applying it to the fabric.  Not too close, because I of course don't want to activate the glue.

(in reply to MonnieM)
Post #: 2
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 3:08:36 PM   
KathyD

I hate those pesky bubbles. I try to avoid using the iron on for just that reason. I prefer to use the sew in or use batiste or silk organza for interfacing instead - the project determines which of those 2 I'll chose. Otherwise, I use the lightweight pellon sew in interfacing.

I hope someone else can give you some helpful advice as I'm clueless as well.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to jjdavey)
Post #: 3
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 3:15:44 PM   
makettle

I've never had much luck with the Pellon, prefer the German Interfacing, it doesn't seem to bubble. But try pre-shrinking first. Soak the stabilizer in hot water then roll in a towel and hang to dry. Fortunately you can always peel it off when this happens. Also I sometimes find it better to apply it to the underside of the collar. The other thing you could try is a dry cloth with steam iron. Hope one of these suggestions help.

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 4
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 9:17:16 PM   
Bunnypep

First, you couldn't pay me to use Pellon interfacing, other than Decor Bond for handbags. There are much better products out there that won't give you this problem.  And second, you definitely need to pretreat. I do mine by putting it in a sink of very warm water and letting it sit till room temperature. After that I roll in a towel to remove most of the moisture and then hang on a hanger in the shower or out on the line to dry.

If you are interested in super quality interfacing that does NOT need pretreating go to Pam Erny's site, "Fashion Sewing Supply". http://sewexciting.blogspot.com/ Her's is truly the best and she has a broad selection.

I like to use woven or knit interfacings, actual cloth that has the adhesive put on, not the un natural Pellon products. Hope this helps. Great hints, Charlotte.

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to makettle)
Post #: 5
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/7/2012 11:46:02 PM   
vpenner

I've taken to "pre-shrinking" my fusible interfacing by putting it in a lingerie bag and putting it through a short wash cycle with warm water. That's almost eliminated the bubbling problems for me.

Mother to James (34), Sarah (31), Aaron (30), Adam (27) and David (24)

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 6
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/8/2012 5:17:56 AM   
fairygodmother

I think poor quality adhesive is often to blame for bubbles. I was taught to press/steam the fabric first, then fuse the interfacing. It helps to have both materials warm. If you're past the point of no return with the Pellon, maybe that will make a difference. However, if you can, I would choose a different interfacing.

Like others here, I typically use sew-in interfacing, most often using silk organza. BUT -- 99.9% of my sewing is with natural fibers. My fusibles (when the time comes) are German interfacing or Dream Weave fusible tricot.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 7
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 2:42:49 AM   
caaguirre

I haven't had the problem since I starting pretreating the fusible as described above. Before that, I had it happen with other brands as well as Pellon, but then I usually get the cheapie fusible in packages. I did buy some German Interfacing that I haven't used yet, but I can't remember if it needs pretreating or not. Anybody?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 8
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 5:52:43 AM   
fairygodmother

Carol,

Debbie Glenn (German interfacing guru) recommends pre-treating German interfacing (esp. b/c the base is a woven cotton batiste). Here's Debbie's blurb on German interfacing (but not much practical information, like pre-treating): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwEbSVFxUwM

If I recall from a class, Debbie soaks the interfacing in warm water and then, hangs to dry. It is wonderful stuff when you need a fusible on natural fibers.

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 10:36:07 AM   
Andsewforthjm

Bunny,
Thanks for the info and the link. This is a new site to me. I'll have to try some of the interfacings.
Janet

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 10
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 2:15:17 PM   
Linda S.

Bunny, This source was a fantastic find. Thanks so much for sharing.

I also notice they offer silk organza to use as a press cloth, which I thought was interesting. Lately, I've been noticing what a difference it makes when I use different press cloths. And my new ironing board cover (purchased) is not going to work out, because it has so much texture that doesn't seem likely to go away ; )

In good light, I see that no matter how much I try to polish fabric with my iron and spray starch, I can't get a smooth look when my press cloth and ironing board cover aren't smooth. It's frustrating to end up with a rough surface on something like expensive batiste, when the batiste was smooth to begin with!

(in reply to Andsewforthjm)
Post #: 11
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 4:39:42 PM   
Bunnypep

A silk organza press cloth is wonderful. You can see the details through the press cloth. A washed piece of organdy works well too. 

Bunny

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/9/2012 9:33:00 PM   
vpenner

Fairygodmother,

I would agree also with your comments about adhesive quality. I've found that I have MUCH better luck with the interfacing from a bolt as opposed to the packaged interfacing, even if they're manufactured by the same company. I ONLY used the packaged stuff for backing tissue paper patterns (it's quicker than tracing them and helps preserve ones that I know I'll use more than once).

< Message edited by vpenner -- 2/9/2012 9:34:09 PM >

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 13
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/11/2012 12:17:01 PM   
MonnieM

I tried shrinking the Pellon fusible in hot water - no luck - it stilled bubbled.  I'm going to switch to the sew-in, the batiste, or the silk organza.  Thanks for your comments.

MonnieM

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 14
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/13/2012 4:16:42 PM   
delmarva

Monnie,
Are you pretreating your fashion fabric too?

(in reply to MonnieM)
Post #: 15
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/14/2012 6:39:27 AM   
Bunnypep

Pellon is not a woven and it really won't shrink. Wise move to switch to wovens. I've put in a lot of interfacing and have never liked the results from Pellon. I do like their Decor Bond for bags but that is a bit different application and product. I haven't had blistering with that.

What can happen is the fabric can shrink,not necessarily the interfacing so it is important that both are pre treated. As it shrinks up in the wash or with a steam iron, after application, it makes bubbles. I have had poly fabrics visibly shrink in front of my eyes as I tried to put on the interfacing. What I do, before ironing on the fusible, is hold the steam iron, with heavy steam, about an inch off the fabric and just steam the heck out of it to help shrink the fabric up. I let it sit till dry, then fuse on the IF. Because of this tendency you need to cut any fused pattern parts larger. Once the fusible is on, place them over your pattern again and check for fit. Recut for any adjustments. You will almost always have a change in shape or size of the pattern piece once fused. HTHs.

Bunny

(in reply to delmarva)
Post #: 16
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/14/2012 12:55:24 PM   
Linda S.

Bunny, This makes so much sense. From now on I might cut out the fabric with interfacing fused on after I fuse on the interfacing. And I for one am switching to wovens, just to be on the safe side. I've had it with the bubbles!

You mention liking the Decor bond for bags, and I've been contemplating interfacing for bags lately. I need to come up with something to give more body to a cotton print velvet (for a purse), but haven't decided yet how to do this. I have a velvet needle board, but even using that (or self fabric) I see some after effects of the pressing on velvet. Do I just need to leave the interfacing loose?

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 17
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/14/2012 5:10:30 PM   
vpenner

Actually, I use Pellon's Shirt-Tailor interfacing for my totebags.  It's an  iron-on interfacing, and I have never had a problem with that particular iron-on (although, of course, just my experience).

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 18
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/15/2012 11:19:12 AM   
Bunnypep

I've made bags with velvet but I have a bit of a different take on velvet than most. My velvets go in the washer and dryer. They come out "distressed" or "antiqued" depending who you talk to. The velvet becomes much more lush and has a lovely look in my opinion. Once I do this I will iron them softly with steam on a heavy towel. This velvet does not look like the velvet from the store but I think it is beautiful. Here is a bag from some distressed velvet and fusible fleece was ironed to it and then Decor Bond on top of that:

And here's a top I made from some washed silk velvet. It feels fabulous.

Now, If I were doing a dress with traditional velvet I would use a sew in interfacing, maybe a piece of silk dupioni would work well. It doesn't have to be "interfacing" for softer garments. HTHs.

Bunny

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 19
RE: Interfacing bubbles - 2/15/2012 12:04:12 PM   
nanax12

I use Pellon all the time and have had the problems you describe. I preshrink my interfacing now by hovering my iron over the interfacing and letting it shrink some. You can see it drawing up, this is what causes the bubbles. I also press my fabric and have both pieces warm before applying interfacing. I apply interfacing to fabric with a dry iron also. Kathy

nanax12 http://photobucket.com/nanax11

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Interfacing bubbles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy