Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Thread Chain Button loops

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Thread Chain Button loops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 10:35:10 AM   
gaylefranklin

I have a Bishop dress pattern that calls for thread chain button loops instead of buttonholes. I can make the chain, but it never looks "right" and, quite often, no matter how carefully I measure, it seems to stretch a little and become too big. What is the best way to do these little loops, and what is the best thread for it? I thought about buttonhole twist, but the salesgirl at Hancock's didn't have a clue what that was (where do they find these folks to work in a fabric store that have no experience in sewing). I do have some perle cotton, but haven't tried that. I have used three or four lengths of regular sewing thread in the past, but I am not pleased with the results. Anyway, if you have any words of wisdom, I would appreciate it
Post #: 1
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 11:29:43 AM   
vpenner

I'm certainly no expert (recently made belt carrier loops, which are longer versions of buttonhole loops. It took three attempts and three different threads, and the best attempt was with several strands of embroidery floss). I can tell you that sometimes buttonhole twist is also call carpet thread (that may help find some if the salespeople know it as such).

Mother to James (34), Sarah (31), Aaron (30), Adam (27) and David (24)

(in reply to gaylefranklin)
Post #: 2
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 11:45:39 AM   
gmarshpchef

have you considered trying 'chaining' off your serger....could try 3 thread narrow overlock; heavy decorative thread in upper & lower looper w/ matching thread in rt. overlook needle; chain a
bunch off & try it for 'ties'..

gmarshpchef

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 3
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 11:49:20 AM   
Linda S.

Buttonhole thread is something very common, at least it is where I live in central Illinois. Both Joanne fabric store and Hancocks has it, and it's just in the display with other threads. I think mine is coats and clark.

You could also use quilting thread, which might be easier for you to find? Joanne, Hancock, and Michaels carries quilting thread which is I think not as thick as buttonhole thread but thicker than regular thread. You could always use two strands if your loop doesn't look thick enough.

A three strand braid (like one would use to braid hair) works just as well for this, and is easier for me to make that look even and consistant.

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 4
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 12:13:16 PM   
ClaireM

I don't do thread chains with single crochet stitch. Like you Gayle, I find it stretches out too much. Instead, I like to use buttonhole stitch and work it over a loop of three-four base threads. To keep the base threads even, I will stitch them over a pencil or a narrow skewer - whatever size is appropriate for the loop I need. Then it's just a matter of working the button hole stitch on top. It's very neat and very stable and stands up to a tremendous amount of use. For thread, I like waxed buttonhole thread or a single strand of #12 perle cotton.

Claire

www.clairemeldrum.ca
"Sewing, Writing and Creative Musings"

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 4:16:43 PM   
Grammy to 5

I am a very adept crocheter and I have trouble at times getting my chain to be consistent and be something I'd want to be seen as a button loop.
I've done the buttonhole stitch over 3 threads before. Not bad but something that sure takes practice.
Linda, I like your idea of braiding. I may try that next time I need a button loop.

Ruth in Upstate NY
I sew with a Janome Memory Craft 6500 and an old Kenmore for gathering and buttonholes.
I embroider with a Janome Memory Craft 350E
I serge with a MyLock 634D

(in reply to ClaireM)
Post #: 6
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 4:40:34 PM   
gaylefranklin

Thanks, everyone. I have a spool of C&C button and carpet thread, which I purchased yesterday. The lady in the Bernina kiosk at Hancock's said it was not as dense as the buttonhole twist (She knew what that was) but it would substitute. I like the braiding idea and I will try that when the dress is done. It seems easier than making the thread chain.

(in reply to Grammy to 5)
Post #: 7
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/15/2012 11:27:41 PM   
caaguirre

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/09/thread-chain-tutorial.html This is the way I've always done it using regular sewing thread.

Happy Sewing, Carol

Post #: 8
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/16/2012 10:16:23 AM   
gaylefranklin

Carol, thanks for this picture tutorial. This is the method I have used, and I can make the chain, but the sizing is always a problem, and placement of the final tack-down is, too. How do you decide where to anchor the chain one it's done, and how do you measure the length you need in the first place?

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/19/2012 9:06:30 PM   
Bunnypep

If I am not too late this is the technique I use for sash keepers and button loops now. Sash keepers

It might be worth doing a sample to figure out how big to make the chain. Just sew one button on on piece of fabric and pin the fabric that will carry the chain to the the button fabric. Then you can have your hands free to manipulate and see if the button goes in and out of the loop. Once you have that figured out just make them all the same. When I have more than one I like to make one long loop of chain and place the long length in and out of the seam as needed to make the loops. Hope this makes sense.

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Post #: 10
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/19/2012 11:07:33 PM   
JAG

Bunny, Wow! I am defiantly going to try your method. Great tutorial!~janet

http://janet-gilbert.com
http://texassmockingcompany.blogspot.com

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 11
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/20/2012 3:30:42 AM   
caaguirre

Sorry I haven't checked back on this thread until now. I like Bunny's idea, it's much more accurate than my "try as I go" technique. I've always sort of measured as I made the chain until it was the length I thought would work best, and then tacked it down by sewing it through the project to the back and then tying a knot.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to JAG)
Post #: 12
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/20/2012 10:00:03 AM   
gaylefranklin

Well, I have to say this is the most amazing tip---so simple. It isn't too late, Bunny. I am having one of "those" week-ends and seem to be taking apart everything. You know how it goes: spend an hour doing something, only to discover some mistake along the way, and spend another slice of time taking it apart. The last two days, I haven't gotten any further than I was Friday (unless you count "lessons learned"). Last night, I had to take the placket off, which meant removing the little thread chains I had so carefully made. So, today, I will put a new placket and new chains--per your incredible tip. BTW, I did use the C&C button and carpet thread that I got the other day, and it works beautifully. I used two strands the first time around, but will use only one strand today and see how that looks. Thanks again!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 13
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/24/2012 1:17:16 PM   
Linda S.

I agree with gayle that this is an amazing tip! And the resulting belt loop looks much more professional than any I've done.
Can't wait to try this Bunny...thanks so much for the super great tutorial! Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to
explain and you did a great job on this. Your pictures always help a great deal too!

Post #: 14
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 5/26/2012 6:38:08 PM   
Bunnypep

I am glad I was able to help. I was determined to find an easier way as well!

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 15
RE: Thread Chain Button loops - 12/27/2012 12:37:53 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

If your fabric is not batiste or dupioni or light weight perhaps velvet, velveteen or corduroy you might consider bridal loops.  I have crochet thread in every colour so would start with that but if the loops do not look hefty enough for the fabric then I would look for bridal loops and put them in as Bunny suggested.  For batiste and baby things I would start with 30 weight crochet and chain a length then try 20 then 10 until I was happy with one.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Thread Chain Button loops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy