Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Shoulder binding

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Shoulder binding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shoulder binding - 5/25/2012 8:54:41 PM   
Grandmom

I have been sewing several knit shirts. I noticed on store bought shirts there is a clear thin binding that is sewn into the shoulder seam.
Does anyone now what this is called and where it can be purchased?
I do have a roll of black very thin seam binding that would work, that is if I was sewing a black shirt. But of course I am not. I don't even remember where I purchased that from. Many years ago.
Tnaks
Grandmom
Post #: 1
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/25/2012 9:33:33 PM   
DDinDFW

I'm pretty sure you're talking about clear elastic. It is put into the shoulder seam to allow a little stretch for ease of getting dressed, but the elastic snaps back and keeps the seam from stretching out of shape. I had trouble buying it at our local JoAnn's, but found a big hank of it several years ago while traveling. I haven't had to look for it since so I can't say whether JoAnn's carries it now or not.

Dana, mom of two growing boys

(in reply to Grandmom)
Post #: 2
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 6:19:16 AM   
fairygodmother

S-T-R-E-T-C-H clear elastic before you sew it into a seam...

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 3
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 7:02:17 AM   
makettle

I tend to use a piece of twill tape, seam tape or even a piece of cotton that will blend into the knit.

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 4
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 10:23:49 AM   
Linda S.

I like using twill tape to stabilize shoulder seams too. The shoulder seam doesn't need to stretch and the twill tape ensures that seam keep it's shape. Clear elastic (didn't that used to be called 'swimsuit elastic'?) will work for shoulder seams too but unless you enclose it somehow (like with your serger) it doesn't want to lay flat...for me anyway ; )

I'm curious about Fairygodmother's emphasis on stretching clear elastic before putting it in a shoulder seam. Wouldn't this make the seam gather a little?

(in reply to makettle)
Post #: 5
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 2:01:14 PM   
caaguirre

I've used a narrow piece of the selvedge edge for this, a woven fabric if your knit is stretchy at the selvedge.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 2:12:22 PM   
Grandmom

Carol,
Your suggestion using the selvedge is very interesting. The knits that I have are very thin and I don't want to add bulk. The selvedge doesn't stretch a lot and doesn't add bulk. I didn't understand about stretching the elastic unless it is to ensure that after the garment is sewn the shoulder won't stretch out of shape. When I tried to use the twill it was too stiff for some of the fne knits.

About elastic. In general I was told to stretch out the elastic a couple of times before I use it , say in a waist band. That is supposed to keep the stretch the way you wnat it.
Grandmom

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 6:40:46 PM   
Bunnypep

I prefer to use a thin selvedge. I save all the selvedges from any chiffons or v. lightweight silks or cottons to use for this purpose. I keep them in a jar and pull them out when I need to stabilize a shoulder or other seam. I don't worry about it matching usually as the pressed open or felled seam will cover it but I find if it is close in color it is fine with me.

I prefer not to use the clear elastic. Too many times I forgot it was in the seam and the next thing I knew it was melted, usually on the iron. At that point it didn't serve its purpose.

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Grandmom)
Post #: 8
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 7:39:38 PM   
Bobette

I have used seam binding, never elastic. But I really like the idea to use selvedge fabric. The purpose is to keep the shoulder seam from stretching out. Not sure how elastic would work.

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 9
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/26/2012 8:27:15 PM   
Grandmom

Great idea Bunny
I will start to salve my selvedges
Grandmom

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 10
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/27/2012 9:33:00 AM   
Linda S.

I've never thought of using selvedge for this...what a great idea. I'll be starting my own little collection in a jar now : )

These discussion are great. I just remembered that I bought a big bag of silky-like synthetic seam binding in various colors at an estate sale and I could be using some of that for shoulder seams too.....IF I don't forget again LOL!

(in reply to Grandmom)
Post #: 11
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/28/2012 6:47:19 AM   
fairygodmother

Just to clarify: in this case you wouldn't stretch as you sew the elastic in. Clear plasticky elastic must be stretched BEFORE you sew it for it to work effectively. Stretching "activates" it. Just pull it between your hands a couple of time -- almost like pulling taffy! It won't recover like elastic until it is stretched. Clear as mud? Try this:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?ID=486

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/28/2012 9:02:42 AM   
Linda S.

Fairygodmother, It's been years since I've used clear elastic but now that you brought it up, I remember this important tip about clear elastic. I should start a file somewhere to keep all these great tips in order!

Post #: 13
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/28/2012 9:07:48 AM   
Linda S.

Oh...I was wondering; do you know if clear elastic loses it's elasticity like rubbery elastic does? Mine is ancient, and still seems to be ok. That would be a good reason to use it more, if it does last longer.

I've been making pillowcase dresses for a charity org., and resist the urge to use regular elastic. These little dresses are going to kids in Africa and they need to be sturdy and last a long time. Often when I pull down our summer clothes from the attic, I find some of the elastic is shot.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 14
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/29/2012 4:18:06 PM   
fairygodmother

My understanding is that the clear elastic does not degrade like rubber elastic does. It survives heat and detergent and chlorine where rubber elastic does not (thus, its use in swimwear). However, I'm hoping someone else will chime in to confirm or deny my very fallible memory...!

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 15
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/30/2012 10:55:13 AM   
Linda S.

Fairygodmother, What you said only makes sense since it's also called 'swimwear elastic' ; ) I should have thought of that. It isn't interchangable with regular elastic so I might find problems trying to substitute it...I'll see what I can do.

The dresses I sew for charity are the simplest kind, like pillowcase dresses although any simple style is acceptable. Alot of ladies who sew for this ministry don't use elastic in their pillowcase dresses (drawstring instead), but I'm not fond of how the yoke area looks without it.

Yesterday I found a pattern I might like using because elastic isn't called for and it's still a simple style (New Look A6796). If I can find a pattern that sews up fast, doesn't require alot of fabric or elastic....I'll be off and running with this! The goal is to make alot of cute little dresses quick. Thanks so much for your input. My memory is definitely slipping...and getting old is not always all it's cracked up to be lol!

Post #: 16
RE: Shoulder binding - 5/30/2012 6:39:12 PM   
Vada43

I don't know anything about this clear "swimwear" elastic but if it is stretched wouldn't it eventually return to it's original size making the seam pucker?

Vada

http://www.flickr.com/photos/levisnana/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Shoulder binding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message