Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Covered button issues

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Covered button issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Covered button issues - 5/29/2012 11:46:18 PM   
LaurieB

I am hoping that some of you have the 1 1/2 inch button machine from Hope.  I haven't had much time to use mine for a while, but I wanted to make several paci covers today.  I embroidered four really cute designs, but only had one successful paci cover when I was finished.  No matter how careful I was, the ribbon didn't completely cover the button shell, so three were ruined.  I hate wasting the ribbon and button shells!  Any suggestions??  I am going to try fabric with the Heat n Stay tomorrow.  any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Laurie
Post #: 1
RE: Covered button issues - 5/30/2012 7:15:40 AM   
shanedel

Laurie ~
I do a lot of covered button & embroidered pacifiers and I feel your pain!   I've had this happen, and like you, I hate  it when the project is ruined.  It also eats into profits!!!!  Here are some tips that may help.

1)  I like to handcut my buttons using the circular straight stitch outline as a guide.  I find it faster & easier & more reliable than using the cutter.  I cut about 2-3 thread stitch widths outstide the line - just a tiny bit larger so there is more ribbon to actually cover the button.  I use a small pair of curved blade Gingher emboridery scissors and they work like a dream.

2)  I take a small piece of scotch tape -  maybe 1/2" - and tape the ribbon close to the edge inside the button back, just enough to hold it in place so it doesn't slide out of position.  Press it down really well.  The tape cannot hang over the edge of the button back, so make it small.

3)  I hold my breath and make the button!  Seriously, I go slowly when I pull the handle down.  Don't know if it helps but if makes me feel better.

4)  I do I run a small amount of E6000 glue right along the edge of the button covering the ribbon/button "seam".  I use a toothpick and try to make it as neat looking as possible.  It dries nicely and secures any areas that may be questionable.  If there is a tiny "pull" I can usely coax it to lay flat & cover if I wait a few minutes and work at it with the toothpick.  I have saved a few projects with this technique.

These are my tips you might want to try.  Most of my covered buttons go on flip flops, so the back is really not seen.  At first I objected to the glue "seal", but it does dry quite well if you aren't too heavy handed.  Let me know if any of this helps, and good luck! 

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 2
RE: Covered button issues - 5/30/2012 11:09:30 AM   
LaurieB

Hi Shane!

Thanks so much for your tips! I will try them all--you have beautiful things.  I always love the projects that you post, and I am so happy for you that you are all settled in your new home.  I'll post some pictures of my finished buttons to the list!  I am on my way to the store to buy the glue :)

Laurie

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 3
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:05:43 AM   
darleen

Hi Shane, I recall sometime back you mentioning the button machine. So do you have the hope one as well? I was just thinking maybe it is something I could also use for hair toggles. I guess the 1 1/2 one would be the most universal size. How about the buttons to cover, are they very expensive? thanks in advance.

Darleen

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 4
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 7:55:56 AM   
shanedel

Darleen ~
I do have the Hope Yoder covered button machines.  I have it in two sizes - 1 1/2" & 2 1/4", and I considering the 1" too.  I mostly use the 1 1/2" and find it extremely efficient and easy to use.  In fact, the cost of the buttons was a major factor in my decision to change from  the hand covered ones I was using in addition to the ease of doing them.  They are more of a flat button but I do like them and Hope is great to work with.  You can check out all the pricing at her site: 

http://www.hopeyoder.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=472

I do use the 2 1/4" for covered mirrors and sometimes the larger pacifier holder.  The supplies are a bit more expensive so you would have to justify the need and demand - would you really use it?

I do see the 1" in my future but your are more restricted in your design area.  Hope has some great miniature designs, and you can also find a ton at Perfect Little Stitches (www.perfectlittlestitches.com) as well as Embroidery Library under Miniatures.

Hope this was all helpful! 

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to darleen)
Post #: 5
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 11:20:52 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

WOW $439 for a button press - you would need to be making covered buttons out of a business - SERIOUSLY???? and this from a gadget person.  I dont care if I won the lottery last night - I would not even consider spending that amount of money to make buttons.  Considering that you need to buy the buttons and there is an additional $98 shipping to Canada I bet these machines are just flying out the window.  You still need an embroidery machine to embellish the fabric and poor Laurie she didnt have much success one out of 3 is not very good odds.
I have done covered buttons the old fashioned way and agree that you need to cut just a smidge larger and a dab of clear drying glue does help or that wonder tape that I use for embroidery that is wash away - have not tried the wonder tape for buttons but have for zippers and trim and ribbon etc.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 6
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 12:07:08 PM   
shanedel

Shirley ~ I do have a business that uses covered buttons.  Yes, it was an expense I gave a lot of thought too, and I have never regretted it.  Just wanted to give some tips to Laurie, who has one also, because I do use mine a lot.  We'll have to see if Darleen gets one ~ to be continued . . .

For any of you considering one I will say it is an excellent quality machine and you get lots of help & suggestions for making, marketing, and selling your buttons if that is what you plan to do.  Hope's videos are great, and you can watch them over & over & over until you get it - surely I'm not the only one that does that!

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 7
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 12:27:42 PM   
Andsewforthjm

Shirley,

Hope's had these machines at the MP school for a few years and we got to use it in class. She also sold them there, and I can tell you they did fly out the window. I was surprised at how fast they sold considering the price, but she does sell a lot of them. They are an awesome way to do covered buttons and for someone like Shane who has a business I can see it would be worth the expense. I'm one to buy just about anything and everything but I couldn't justify this for myself as I don't have a business. I recently bought the iTopper button cover 'machine' which is a hand-held press type machine that works pretty well for what I need.

Janet

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 8
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 12:34:31 PM   
LaurieB

HI Shirley,

I also have a business.  I am a licensed MP instructor (Sewing for Babies) and I teach for a local sewing store.  My family has encouraged me to branch out to more finished goods, and I am doing custom layette items.  I really do like the machine, and it was worth the cost.  I am also thinking about getting the 1 inch size in the near future.  I appreciated all of Shane's advice.  I am going to try to attach a photo of a custom layette I recently did for a young Mom who was doing a baseball themed nursery.  She also performs with a Praise Band, so we chose some of the designs to reflect that.

Okay.....I am getting the "File too Large" error on posting the pictures...so give me a little while to make this work.  I think I need to set up a photo bucket account.  Learning something new every day.......

Laurie 

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 9
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 1:08:45 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

See girls - there are so many differences between what is vogue here in Canada and what is trendy in the U.S.

For instance I see on Sew Forum those ruffled pants like regular girls pants but with 3 rows of big ruffles - I have never seen not even once any little girl wearing that sort of thing here or in Montreal or Quebec or even driving from Calgary to Montreal.  Just is not going to happen here - also while some little girls would like the buttons especially on flip flops  for sure you would not get a lot of interest on the flip flops with big bows - hair bows - I dont think there is a little girl in Canada who would wear one of those big hair bows - yes for first communion last week I saw some little girls with long hair that had some fancy hair piece like a hair clip that had been embellished with lovely silk flowers - and bits of ribbon cascading along with white tiny pearls - I am sure that you all know the sort of things I am describing - not a single big bow - there might have been some with hair pulled back and tied back with a very slender ribbon like quarter inch no bigger - every thing here seems to be understated - simple - classic lines - gaudy really does not sell here.
I love Emb. Garden`s  covered button designs (not necessary to have a button machine) where she has affixed the button to one of those badge reels etc those would sell at a craft show perhaps maybe a dozen but for sure not by the dozens let along 100`s
Like everywhere else things for kids tend to be wash and wear except for a minority of kids who get dressed up for Sunday church or as part of a wedding party - I bet there are not 5 kids in 100 that even own dress shoes - yes you do see girls in flats like Payless or Walmart mostly they are in runners - once we hit warm weather you will see a lot of flip flops for boys and girls or sandals that look like flip flops for girls.  Since my grand kids are all in Montreal I really pay close attention to what the kids are wearing.  Calgary is booming - jobs are abundant - real estate market very healthy etc so it is not a question of money because I see kids with very expensive athletic foot wear - older girls with lots of Lulu Lemon etc

Laurie the easiest way to attach a photo - email it to your self - save the picture again the email one will be the correct size - use that to attach a photo.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 10
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 1:42:21 PM   
LaurieB

Well I hope this works.  Here are the layette photos

http://s1077.photobucket.com/home/laurieb7

The Mom was very happy with all the items.  She really liked the paci keeper.

Laurie

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 11
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 1:46:21 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

That didnt work Laurie

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 12
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:25:49 PM   
shanedel

Please keep trying Laurie ~ I would love to see what you do.   And you're welcome!

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 13
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:33:09 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

WELL THIS MIGHT WORK [IMG]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w468/laurieb7/CameraUpdateMay2012139.jpg[/IMG]

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w468/laurieb7/?action=view&current=CameraUpdateMay2012139.jpg

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 14
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:36:42 PM   
LaurieB

Yes!  It did work, but I am going to try this one more time to see if *I* can do it :)  Thanks for your patience, ladies!

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w468/laurieb7/CameraUpdateMay2012138.jpg

Laurie

Post #: 15
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:45:36 PM   
shanedel

Laurie ~ those are wonderful!  So colorful, love them.  Thanks for sharing, and I like the paci-clip too.  Great job!

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 16
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 2:47:25 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Yes that worked just fine but if you want to post a picture rather than a link then just open the picture from your computer and email it to yourself and save it as #2 then when you come here select post reply and on the bottom  click embed picture and you will get a pop up browse for your #2 picture and it will embed just keep hitting ok

(in reply to LaurieB)
Post #: 17
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 6:24:58 PM   
darleen

Thank you Shane for getting back to me with that information. regards darleen

Darleen

Post #: 18
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 6:37:31 PM   
jem

Laurie and Shane both of you do such beautiful work. I do so enjoy seeing the creative work you do. I also understand what Shirley is saying. I have been sewing and designing things for more years than I care to think about, I have lived up and down the east coast. I am also very blessed with friendships that span economic circumstances. When it comes to what to give as gifts I am at sea. Some Mom's love the ruffled bums others will not allow their children to wear such things (my dd). My usual baby shower gift is a daygown with smocking or embroidery. I have actually had Moms to be ask me if I can take the daygown back and make them burps. It is very fortunate when we match the gift with the person. I think it is wonderful and amazing you have found your niche. What will sell in Atlanta may not be wanted in Knoxville, or Calary or Chicago but is a wonderful blessing to need such a great machine for your business and make profit with it.

Psalms 121
The Needler, =^..^=
Jacki, IJCCS (International Jammie Club of Creative Stitchers)
librocubicularist

Post #: 19
RE: Covered button issues - 5/31/2012 7:18:41 PM   
darleen

Shirley, I sent my picture to myself via email, then I tried to post it here but it still says file too large. Just gotta figure out how to reduce the size of my pictures within my Pictures File then maybe I can redo.

Darleen

(in reply to jem)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Covered button issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy