Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

New Feet for Designer 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> New Feet for Designer 1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/10/2011 9:13:09 AM   
NormaK

I just had to report that I got two new feet--for my Designer 1--yesterday.  The Viking dealer in a nearby Joann's is going out of business.  That's not good news, but their remaining stock was 70% off!   (Several weeks ago, I had managed to replace my "R" plastic embroidery foot and a small spool cap at 30% off.)  I went back to get the Spanish Hemstitch Foot and the accompanying throat plate, hoping but not knowing they had further reductions.  I got that and a foot that holds your button in place while you sew it on.  It seems a lot niftier than having to tape the button over the gray gizmo and hope it doesn't slip, like I've been doing for years.  The button foot also has a lever to push, depending on whether or not you want a thread shank.  Since I only paid about $10.50 for it after the reduction, I figured I'd give it a go!

I did take time to try out the Spanish Hemstitch Foot before supper, and I really like it with the feather stitch.  (I once bought the hemstitch fork, but never used it.  Maybe I can sell it.)

I'd post pictures, but I'm getting ready to go on vacation today (driving) with my family, so I'd better get a move on. 
Post #: 1
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/10/2011 10:16:07 AM   
nlsummerlin

I love work done with the spanish hemstitch. I have still have the foot for the D1 (I sold the D1) and would love to sell it so I can get one for the DD.

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 2
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/10/2011 11:21:34 AM   
Penny Hal

I don't know what a Spanish hemstitch looks like. Could not find one on the website, but the foot looks interesting. Is there a photo somewhere of what the stitch looks like?

Penny

(in reply to nlsummerlin)
Post #: 3
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/10/2011 12:45:51 PM   
NormaK

That's what's funny.  There is not a "Spanish" hemstitch on my machine.  Some place--maybe on the old forum--I read that it is really a foot to do "fagotting," but since that word may not have seemed "politically correct," it was called the Spanish hemstitch.  The directions I've read in Carol Ahles' Fine Sewing by Machine (I think I have the title correct), say to use a 6-mm wide zigzag (2.0 length), triple zigzag, Venetian hemstitch, or feather stitch.  The foot box just indicates that it should be a 6-mm zigzag.  I prefer the feather stitch.  What you are doing is filling in the space between two pieces of fabric (which have the edges turned under) with an open thread stitch.  Here's a couple links to the general concept:  http://www.skovdesymaskiner.se/images/pdf/pfoot/Fagotting.pdf http://www.textileglossary.com/terms/fagotting.html

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/10/2011 1:15:32 PM   
Grandmom

Question: In my accesssory user handbook that came with my Diamond there is a picture of a foot under Heirloom sewing, page 42.
It looks like it does Eintredeux (sp?). It is a large flat foot with a throat plate underneath. Veiwing the picture of the
"Spanish" Hemstitch there may be some similarities.

Does anyone know of the foot that I tried to describe and if so does it work and do you like it?
Thanks
Grandmom

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 5
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/11/2011 7:56:42 AM   
nlsummerlin

http://www.e-magin.se/v5/viewer/files/viewer_s.aspx?gIssue=1&gTitle=&gYear=2008&gKey=87rhm06n&gAvailWidth=1014&gAvailHeight=733&gInitPage=1&gHotspot=0

(in reply to Grandmom)
Post #: 6
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/11/2011 7:57:36 AM   
nlsummerlin

at the link above, sign up and go to page 50 for spanish hemstitching foot

Post #: 7
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/11/2011 1:37:07 PM   
Grandmom

Hi Nisummerlin
That is the book that I am referring to. On page 42 is a picutre of a foot that is not described. I don't think it is the
same foot about spanish hemstitching on page 50.
Am I missing something?
Thanks for your help
Grandmom

Post #: 8
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/11/2011 6:17:44 PM   
Penny Hal

Thanks for the photos. Seems simple enough that you could probably do it with an all purpose foot if you worked carefully.

Penny

(in reply to Grandmom)
Post #: 9
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/11/2011 8:09:07 PM   
Sheriann Sews

I love trying out new feet! I am a believer that there really is a reason for all those different feet! Happy you got such a fabulous buy!

Sew Sincerely,
Sheriann
Brand spankin' new Babylock Ellisimo (Miss Elli) ~ Designer1 ESS ( Miss Emmi)~ Babylock Imagine (Miss Maggie)~ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle (Miss Mary)
In Memory of our beloved Golden Retriever, Shi.

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 10
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/13/2011 6:34:23 PM   
NormaK

Thank you! I just looked at that page 50, and it says the exact number of the foot I bought is supposed to be ONLY for the Designer SE. However, I have the Designer 1, and it still works. It's a little hard to get the throat plate on and off, but it works fine. Hmmm....

(in reply to Sheriann Sews)
Post #: 11
RE: New Feet for Designer 1 - 3/14/2011 12:36:41 PM   
EmilyB

I think the foot you mentioned on page 42 is the Spanish hemstitch foot. And yes, there is a different # for the D1, SE and DD because of the location of the slots on the plate. I am pretty sure that the foot itself is the same, but the little gadget that goes into the plate is different. They get us coming and going!!

Del

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> New Feet for Designer 1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy