Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Making a wedding veil with a corded edge

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Making a wedding veil with a corded edge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/6/2012 4:26:51 PM   
legalsecty1

Help, please!  My daughter is getting married (not until February 2013, thank goodness) and wants me to make her veil.  She wants it to be about 40-42" (no problem there) with a corded edge.  I have tried everything I can think of to get that corded edge.  Serger (awful, let's not even go there), roll/whip with sewing machine - nope, couching it - nope.  I've googled all kinds of searches, but no success.  Has anyone here ever done one?  If so, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks -
Sandy
Post #: 1
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/6/2012 6:36:36 PM   
Nancy W

I do not have your requested solution, but I will tell you that when my daughter got married, I made her veil.  She wanted me to copy a veil that she had tried on.  I cut bias stips of satin to match her dress and attached it to the illusion. 

Nancy in Huntsville

(in reply to legalsecty1)
Post #: 2
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/6/2012 7:36:26 PM   
legalsecty1

but how did you attach it?

Post #: 3
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/6/2012 7:45:57 PM   
Nancy W

I will tell you that I originally used ribbon to make it.  The ribbon did not curve.

I sewed the bias strips like I would do a bias strip on a quilt.  It worked out well.

Nancy in Huntsville

Post #: 4
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/6/2012 11:22:59 PM   
gigito4

Did you use a cording foot or maybe a piping foot? I've never done it but I would think that a serger with a cording or piping foot would do the trick. I'm anxious to see other replies.

Gail

(in reply to Nancy W)
Post #: 5
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/8/2012 10:13:00 AM   
Linda S.

I've not used this on a veil but am wondering if you've tried a narrow hemming foot? This foot has a little curl on one side where the fabric edge is fed in (there are several sizes and some are for straight stitches only, others for shell edges, etc.). I have two sizes of these and they are a live saver when doing a narrow hem.

If your tule will feed into this ok, it could save you alot of time and the cording could be fed in at the same time you're doing the hem. Will the hem edge be just tulle or will you also be using a satin ribbon or something like that?

(in reply to gigito4)
Post #: 6
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/9/2012 7:54:10 PM   
Ms Rose

Maybe you and the bride could visit a bridal shop under the pretense on finding a veil and try one on that has a corded edge and see how they did it. I know it's sneaky, but sometimes we have to resort to desparate measures to accomplish our goals.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/10/2012 3:08:35 PM   
fairygodmother

I've done a tight roll & whip over a cord on the edge of tulle before. Sounds like what you are trying to do. It a very long time ago though! Best I recall, I used the cording foot that holds and guides the gimp or pearl cotton (I used pearl cotton); the cord was on top of the tulle, about 1/16-1/8" in from the edge. As with the roll & whip on lace, the stitch width was about 4; but the length a little tighter for a more satin-stitch type of edge. Maybe .5?

If this doesn't work for you, you might try strips of water soluble stabilizer on the bottom. Lay tulle, then cord at its edge. Then satin stitch over the cord. I have gobs of WSS patiently waiting to be re-used in just such a technique! Let us know what you figure out.

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to Ms Rose)
Post #: 8
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/10/2012 4:55:39 PM   
KarenVA

Would this advice from (Fine Machine Sewing) Carol Laflin Ahles be helpful:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ft_qCrwc_BYC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=how+to+sew+a+corded+edge+on+tulle&source=bl&ots=yoEuFcIyTF&sig=5sdLECWCWHwDgEaq9k2y1Tm__Fk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2IElUJAZ0NbbBdzcgOAK&ved=0CF8Q6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=how%20to%20sew%20a%20corded%20edge%20on%20tulle&f=false

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 9
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/12/2012 3:29:26 PM   
Janet0629

Sandy, try monofilament (fishing line, 20 lb). If you can, move your needle to far right and use a medium width and length zig zag stitch. Leave about 2" of monfilament behind illusion and start sewing about 2" down. Backstitch to beginning of illusion and then go forward. You will need to keep left hand on the illusion and right hand on the monofilament. Tension needs to be the same to avoid a ruffle, or if you want a slight ruffle effect stretch the illusion as it feeds. Hope this helps.

Janet in Kansas

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 10
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/14/2012 9:19:46 PM   
KathyM in MN

My daughter was just married this weekend and I made her veil. The edge was embroidered, not corded, but I just tried to do a corded edge on some scraps and I think it turned out good. I did a roll and whip with a stitch length of 1 and at 5 width. I did the stitching over size 12 perle cotton. I would send a picture but I don't have my camera. I should have it back tomorrow. I'm sure you could use a heavier perle cotton, but 12 is what I had on hand. If you should accidentally cut the tulle at some point like I did - don't panic. I checked online how to repair tulle and came up with a solution the worked almost invisibly. They said how expensive it was to have repaired because they use a single strand of silk from a cocoon. I tried a fine invisible thread, but it was to stiff then I thought about the silk again. My daughter has long hair so I 'borrowed' a couple strands and repaired the veil with it. It worked beautifully! I didn't tell her what happened - just that I had a story to tell her about her veil after the wedding.

KathyM in MN

(in reply to Janet0629)
Post #: 11
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/16/2012 11:59:55 AM   
Linda S.

Kathy, I just wanted to say I enjoyed your story about sewing with hair to fix your daughter's veil! What an ingenious thing to do, and it will make for a sweet story when the wedding is remembered for years to come. I'm going to try to remember your technique too...just in case I ever need to do such a fragile repair.

This made me stop and wonder if I could use the hair from a horse's tail for some fine sewing jobs. We happen to have a horse in our barn right now ; )....and I think he's about to donate some hair for my hand sewing practice lol!

(in reply to KathyM in MN)
Post #: 12
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 8/26/2012 9:03:22 PM   
legalsecty1

Thanks for everybody's suggestions! The roll/whip over perle cotton has worked the best, but now the bride has changed her mind - doesn't want corded edge. She really doesn't even want a veil, but acquiesed to my wishes (and desire to make it). So. She won't be back home until Christmas at which point we will re-think the whole thing. But now that I've done so much practicing with all the help from my Forum buddies, I'll be able to get it made in time for the February wedding. Will post pictures when it's finished.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 9/20/2012 8:29:23 PM   
SewLynn

I trimmed the edge of my daughter's veil with bias silk - the silk I ordered already cut and on a roll. Stitched by machine along the edge, trimmed, folded the edge over and hand stitched to finish. It was tedious but worth the effort. [IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z182/SewOriginal0/Best%20of%20the%20Best/back.jpg[/IMG]

Member since 2001

Post #: 14
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 9/20/2012 8:30:18 PM   
SewLynn

Hmmm ... it's been a while since I tried to post a link, I guess that didn't work!

Let's try this. http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z182/SewOriginal0/Best%20of%20the%20Best/back.jpg

Member since 2001

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 15
RE: Making a wedding veil with a corded edge - 9/20/2012 11:00:48 PM   
caaguirre

I'll say it was worth it! That is a stunning detail.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Women's Construction >> Making a wedding veil with a corded edge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy