Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

OT DVD from National Sewing Circle

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> OT DVD from National Sewing Circle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 1:42:44 PM   
KarenVA

Has anyone else received a DVD in the mail from the National Sewing Circle? Mine came yeaterday with a letter explaining how much valuable information is on the DVD. It is supposedly a risk free trial and as a bonus there are three sewing projects included on the disc. All I have to do is put the DVD into my computer. (NOT!) I was given several options: I can check a box to keep it and pay $12.99 or I can return it, but am instructed to please take the DVD out of the plastic case and use the return envelope--to keep their postage costs down. It also says since I did not request this DVD I can just keep it and not do anything.

How bizarre is this?? And, how did they get my address? Sew Beautiful is the only sewing magazine I get--does F & W Media sell our subscription information?

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 1:45:51 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

GEE HOPE THAT THEY SEND ME ONE BUT ALAS IN CANADA - I doubt it. why would you not insert it in your computer and browse what is on it - after Kaspersky scans it for virus etc.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 2:06:09 PM   
jjdavey

This company was only trademarked in May of this year. TN Marketing of Wayzata, MN is the owner. The trademark was filed by Samuels & Hiebert of Boston. The company description is something about videos of information and sewing skills. I hope I don't get one. This was the ONLY information I could find on the internet. Doesn't sound very legit to me.

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 3
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 2:24:10 PM   
KarenVA

Right--I found that info when I GOOGLED, too. I have Norton Internet Security on my computer--but some of those pesky viruses seem to sneak on anyway. I'm not that desperate for patterns and ideas--I have way too many projects started and on my list to last till I'm 200, at least!!!! LOL

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to jjdavey)
Post #: 4
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 2:47:13 PM   
SusanB

I have no doubt that F & W Media sells our subscription information -- everyone else does!

SusanB

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 5
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 3:25:48 PM   
Janet0629

I received one about a week ago.  It is my understanding that if you receive unsolicited mailings you do not have to pay for them or return them.  Mine went in the trash. 

Janet in Kansas

(in reply to SusanB)
Post #: 6
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 4:47:05 PM   
ssstitches

I got it, too, yesterday. I thought about the virus and returned it. I didn't want to be bombarded by mail to pay and sign-up. Not that returning it will stop that.
I also requested to be taken off of their list. With a big company it may have been sold many times already.

Martha

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 7
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 4:47:38 PM   
Andsewforthjm

We had a thread on here a while back about Sew News sending out unsolicited DVDs with the exact same instructions you got. I emailed them and told them that I was about to cancel my subscription because of this shoddy way of doing businesd. They told me to keep the DVD as a 'gift' and they'd take me off their mailing list. You are not obligated to return the DVD since it's unsolicited. In the discussion about the Sew News DVD one of the members here posted the postal regulation that tells you what they did isn't legal and you don't have to respond.
Janet

(in reply to Janet0629)
Post #: 8
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 8/24/2012 6:37:59 PM   
Pat in Colorado

I received the one from Sew News and called the company. I told the representative since the DVD was sent without my knowledge or consent that I'd be happy to keep it for a small monthly storage fee. She immediately apologized, said she would take me off their mailing list and to please keeps the DVD with their compliments. I'd keep any nonsolicited DVDs that are of interest to me.

We've had PCMatic for several months with no viruses getting through. When we had Norton and then McAfee neither caught all the viruses that some times infected our computers..

Pat in Colorado (Formerly pattycake)

(in reply to Andsewforthjm)
Post #: 9
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 5/29/2013 3:59:16 PM   
discord37

I got this DVD recently. I only skimmed the letter and tossed it. I also popped the DVD in my computer. As a tech, I don't think anyone is buying or sharing the mailing list of Martha Pullen to send viruses out :). I scanned it and it was virus free and has some nice tutorials on it. If I didn't request it they can't charge me anything or force me to buy or send back.

(in reply to Pat in Colorado)
Post #: 10
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 5/29/2013 4:55:40 PM   
Bunnypep

There was some info on this on I think Pattern Review a while back and many did research. It was a company owned by a man not associated with the sewing industry and supposedly the DVDs were just by home grown home sewn Joe and really not that good. The National Sewing Circle really is just a front for this business. Trust me, its' not SAGA or ASG. There s one lovely seamstress who at one time started a group by this name but it has nothing to do with this business or DVD. Do some googling. It's all out there. I wouldn't pay for this at all.

OK, I just did a bit of googling. Try these:
Stitcher's guild and NSC

Info on unsolicited mail from the USPS:
Unsoliciited mail

This link tells you what is on the DVD and who does the presentation. No one I know. I am not impressed, sorry. With this link it all looks like BS to me.
NSG

< Message edited by Bunnypep -- 5/29/2013 5:09:58 PM >

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to discord37)
Post #: 11
RE: OT DVD from National Sewing Circle - 5/29/2013 10:44:58 PM   
caaguirre

I received a DVD from Love of Quilting one time with the same type of message. I chose the "don't pay if you didn't ask for it" option, although they sent a couple of requests for return or payment. I wonder if they get enough people to pay to make it worthwhile to send them out.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> OT DVD from National Sewing Circle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy