Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Bernina Record 930

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Bernina Record 930 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 6:47:43 AM   
fairygodmother

My niece has offered to sell me her Bernina Record 930 (purch'd in 1983). This machine has a reputation of being a real workhorse. Do y'all have any thoughts, suggestions, comments, including value?

It's been in her barn for several years (eek!), no cabinet, and she doesn't remember about feet, accessories, etc. I will buy it from her, but want to pay a fair price. TIA, y'all.

Best regards,
Fairygodmother
Post #: 1
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 7:02:45 AM   
Nancy W

I wish I still had my 930.  I would check with a Bernina dealer about feet and bobbins.  I have no idea what you should pay.

Nancy in Huntsville

(in reply to fairygodmother)
Post #: 2
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 7:59:45 AM   
Bunnypep

You might want to do a search on the Pattern Review boards and reviews. There is a huge amount of information there and you can post the question if you don't see the answer right off.

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Nancy W)
Post #: 3
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 8:35:55 AM   
Nananeva

Go on eBay and check out the prices asked for the older machines. You might be surprised at the prices of Berninas. Of course it depends on condition and what attachments come with the machines. Remember, the company doesn't guarantee parts for machines after 25 years.

I certainly was surprised at what they are getting for the older Bernina 830! I have that machine and love it.

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 11/4/2012 8:40:02 AM >

Neva

I sew on: Brother PR600, BL Elegante2, Bernina 830, 1946 Singer Hemstitcher

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 4
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 8:41:20 AM   
Hokie Mom

First thing I would do is take it to a sewing machine mechanic for a good cleaning. Where I live, that costs about $100.00. If it runs great after that, buy it.

This machine sells on Ebay for about $1,000.00 although there were a few sales under $700 in the last month.

I have a Bernina 1130 (bought new in 1986) that I would never sell-- I gave it to DD#2. I switched over to a Pfaff 7550 in 1994 and although I had several brief affairs with Brother, BabyLock and Viking, I have realized how much I love my Pfaff! My Pfaff and I are BFF and plan to stay that way.

Lisa in Webster NY

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 5
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 10:57:24 AM   
shanedel

I was a Bernina dealer in the late 70's-80's and sold the 930s.  Those are a fantastic mechanical machine and a workhorse!  I wish I had kept mine but only have room for so many machines.  I agree with all the comments about checking prices and getting it checked out.  Concerns me a bit it was in a barn - so I would defnitely have it looked out.  Maybe it's not humid like here but that is a red flag.  It's probably got the feet it came with and that's a decent start.  Also, that's a 9mm foot which is great!  Keep us posted and good luck.

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to Hokie Mom)
Post #: 6
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/4/2012 2:28:46 PM   
KathyD

Be sure and check to see if she has the power cord and foot petal that go with the machine. If she doesn't have the power cord, don't even consider buying it. They don't make any compatible cords for this particular machine and they are very hard to come by. Other parts you can frequently buy on Ebay. I've seen them sell recently for as much as $1,600 and as low as $700 - so it really depends. Either way, those are great prices for a machine of that age. I doubt that many of today's machines will hold their value like that.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 7
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/5/2012 6:07:57 AM   
fairygodmother

Thanks so much y'all. Your comments help so much. I will connect with my niece this week to have a look at her machine and all of its goo-gaws. I'm pretty excited about giving a home to this special machine. From initial research online, it looks like the machine's value has more than doubled in the past 8-10 years. WOW.

However, that barn I mentioned is in central Texas and definitely subject to high humidity and extreme temperature ranges, in addition to typical barn-type stuff like dust, dirt, grime, bugs, etc. I'll keep you posted!

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 8
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/5/2012 1:58:31 PM   
ssstitches

I have this machine I bought, hardly used around 1985. I paid $350 and have also seen them on various sites for the above mentioned prices. I have the same feelings about it as everyone else and gave it to my daughter but took it back when she didn't need it right away. It is nice to have it when my embroidery machine has to go in for repair. I am buying her another machine that we can share and I can use it up at her house.
I remember as a young mom sitting down at that machine, still happens now, and sighing with the wonderful feeling of a perfectly humming machine.
My machine was moved and abused while moving with the Marine Corps for 30 years and the multiple climates and storage. It has never failed me.
How lucky for you and I hope all is well with it after you have it checked out.

Martha

< Message edited by ssstitches -- 11/5/2012 1:59:29 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/10/2012 11:37:54 AM   
CIVILLA

I still have my 930 and love it. Bought it when they first came out. I also purchased a 1530 or 1630 (can't remember the number) when they first came out. Tension stayed messed up too much. Traded it for a Babylock Ellageo which I love. But my 930 is great and I will not get rid of it. Maybe my grand daughter (13) will want it but she loves the Ellageo.

Post #: 10
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/11/2012 6:36:48 AM   
fairygodmother

Progress report: niece saw all those prices, too. I required that the machine be plugged in and operated -- smoke rose from motor... It could be dust burning off or something serious. We're waiting to hear from the Bernina service folks. For the record: long-term storage in a barn is not a good idea for sewing machines (among other things). More later!

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to CIVILLA)
Post #: 11
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/11/2012 3:13:40 PM   
Bobette

Still have my 930, but don't use. I never wanted to sell it as was always called the workhorse of a machine. I was told that was the last Bernina that was all metal--don't know if that is true or not. Glad I kept mine.

Post #: 12
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/12/2012 10:31:28 AM   
Nananeva

One of our local TV stations has free classified ads, and there are many MANY used sewing machines listed. Is there something like that in your area? Or Craigslist? Will suggest that you start looking at other machines and forget the neglected - possibly abused 930. I love my old 830, but it is a spare - to be used in emergencies. My 2 yr old Baby Lock is the one used every day.

Neva

I sew on: Brother PR600, BL Elegante2, Bernina 830, 1946 Singer Hemstitcher

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 13
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/13/2012 4:57:24 AM   
fairygodmother

Neva,

Great minds think alike! But, I am not really in the market for another sewing machine. Years ago, my niece told me that if she ever got rid of her Bernina 930, she would give me first option. She now needs to sell, and I must be sure I'm fair and not taking advantage of her situation. As you mention, it has been a little neglected. So, I'm looking for a balance -- a fair price for her, and a good machine for me. I know we'll get it figured out, but it's not as simple as we thought it would be at first!

Best regards,
Fairygodmother

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 14
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/13/2012 6:46:51 AM   
delmarva

quote:

ORIGINAL: fairygodmother

it's not as simple as we thought it would be at first!

It never is...

Post #: 15
RE: Bernina Record 930 - 11/14/2012 10:54:22 AM   
Bobette

Bernina 930 on sale today - $700 plus $50 shipping. Does include cord and foot pedal. Sew Its for Sale.

(in reply to delmarva)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Bernina Record 930 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote