Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813110 has picture

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813110 has picture Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813110 ... - 11/29/2012 10:11:13 AM   
hcox1975

So awhile back I bought a Kenmore sewing machine made by Sears model 148-1311. I'm enclosing a picture of it since I think they made over 50 models in 1968!
So this machine is awesome at sewing every stitch except straight! The stitches are super tiny and the feed dogs aren't moving the fabric through when I sew a straight stitch. I have looked at the manual and followed every step but it still makes super tiny almost pinhole stitches. When I put the machine in reverse though it sews a straight stitch perfect! It's so weird.
So I have done all the usual stuff, changing tension, oiling it, taking it apart and cleaning all the lint. It is in incredible shape and I got it for $7, so I am not out a lot if it not fixable. I just think it would be awesome if I could get it to work because it's all metal and purrs when it's turned on.
If anyone knows what to do, I would be so grateful! I think the older machines work so much better and I am looking forward to getting this one working right!

Heather

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 10:56:53 AM   
MoDo

Okay, this may be simple, but ... why not take it in to a shop?

(in reply to hcox1975)
Post #: 2
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 11:28:51 AM   
hcox1975

Well, really because I don't want to pay a small fortune if it's something simple. I don't know a lot about sewing machines even though I have 4! I just wanted to find out if I could fix it myself.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 1:57:01 PM   
Roxann

Does anything change when you move the stitch length adjustment?
Also, I might take the cover off the feed dogs, turn the wheel by hand to see what the feed dogs do as it goes thru a stitch cycle...do they move properly?
And lastly, is it possible that the feed dogs are "dropped" or lowered to use as in a darning or free-motion quilting mode?
I have had feed dog issues with a couple of machines, and usually they are bound up underneath with lint or threads...If the bottom comes off your machine, I'd take a look under there also for any clues.

Roxann

(in reply to hcox1975)
Post #: 4
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 2:10:13 PM   
hcox1975

No nothing changes when I change the length. I have not taken the cover off the feed dogs because the plate is almost impossible to get off. I will try that. I do know that the switch to drop the feed dogs is in the feed dog up position.

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 5
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 7:53:49 PM   
Bunnypep

I purchased a vintage machine that did the most incredible straight stitch through anything but it was a 3/5 stitch and nothing else. Turned out the dial that adjusts the stitch length was fine but the piece it connected to inside the machine was totally gone. So one stitch length until I can find that piece over the internet soemwhere. So the inside of your stitch adjuster may have fallen off at some point and never gotten replaced. You would have to take down the whole machine to get inside and get at it, I would think.

Bunny
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hcox1975)
Post #: 6
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 7:59:38 PM   
Linda S.

I won't be any help, but wanted to say I have this machine only 20 years older! It sews THE prettiest straight stitch I've ever seen and will sew through anything with ease. I've never once had it in for repair and my mother used it for 20 years before giving it to me...she had never had it repaired either.

I did need to keep it oiled though. Don't suppose this could be part of your problem?

(in reply to Bunnypep)
Post #: 7
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 8:59:42 PM   
Sparkle

Most Sears service centers still fix - and have parts for - the old machines.  And compared to what we pay to have our electronic machines serviced, the charges for cleaning and adjusting these old mechanical models is pretty minimal.  Most sewing machine dealers will also repair these oldies but not all.  Anyway - I'd think it would be well worth having a tech look at it and maybe spending $20-50 to fix it.  I still use my old Kenmore from 1973, in fact 2 of my kids got into an argument over who was going to get it when I bought my first embroidery machine - HA! like I'd ever part with it!!!

Barbara O.
Fine Stitchery
http://finestitchery.com/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 8
RE: help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813... - 11/29/2012 9:24:38 PM   
mum in san diego

$7 What a find. Cosmetically your machine looks great. These old Kenmores are virtually bullet proof. Trying to repair an old mechanical
machine myself is part of the fun of owning them. I recently purchased a 70's era Kenmore and had a problem similar to yours. My solution was easy,
although it took awhile to figure it out. The fix was so simple - it was one of those "duh" moments. The pressure regulator knob was down to 0-probably happened when it was being bubble wrapped for mailing.
Someone recently posted about a similar problem on the wefixit yahoo group. Here's that link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wefixit/message/196160

Have you joined any Kenmore groups? I only know of these:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OldKenmoreSewingMachines/?yguid=185855368
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagekenmoressew/?yguid=185855368

This is a fun link - http://www.searsarchives.com/history/files/sewing_id.pdf

Good luck, Heather. Let us know what you figure out.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> help with an old Kenmore Sewing machine model 14813110 has picture Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy