Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the question?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the question? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the question? - 4/21/2011 10:00:49 AM   
debi@thebeach

I would love any input as there is a chance I may have to get a new emboidery machine. I know the price point differences but as far as quality, durability and maintenance issues, I would love your input and experiences.
Thank you so much!

< Message edited by debi@thebeach -- 4/21/2011 10:03:45 AM >

Upon learning that God would rather die than live without you, how do you react? How can you explain such passion?
Post #: 1
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 10:37:47 AM   
mizlilly

I don't know a lot about the Quattro or Ellisimo, except that the camera is a very nifty feature!

I have the 830 and while it came to me as a snarky thing, it has been tamed! I love the jumbo hoop and the dual feed. I also have the cutwork set should I ever get brave and get it out of the box! One of the nice features on any Bernina is the feet. On some machines you need tools to remove one section and put on another to use the embroidery foot, walking foot, etc. Not on a Bernina... and they seem to have more feet than some brands and I love them. There is a new sole for the walking foot that is an edge-stitching style.

Now that being said, the dealer is very important... so shop machines, but also shop dealers. Find out about classes, whether or not they have in house tech support, etc. Have fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to debi@thebeach)
Post #: 2
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 12:22:24 PM   
shanedel

I've had Berninas since I was a dealer in the 80's, so I'm bias.  I have to agree with Mizlilly on both points - first, the feet.  Wonderful selection for every need, easy to change, and they really do make your sewing faster, easier, and more professional.  The dealer is the most important thing of all, because there are a lot of fantastic machines out there, but if the dealer is NOT, is doesn't matter!  They have to have all she mentioned to make a great  machine even better.  I'm lucky to be in a large metropolitan area with the #1 Bernina dealer in the country fairly close, within 30 miles.  There is a Janome dealer about 1 1/2 mile away, but I wouldn't even consider that shop.  And there was a Pfaff within 5 miles but a friend of mine had a very bad experience, went to the company, and since then that dealer has closed.  I think both of those companies have great machine, not so great dealers.  You really do have to shop the dealers in your area.  Good luck!

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 3
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 12:36:18 PM   
katespattycakes

I don't have the Quattro machine but have owned 3 or 4 machines made by Brother. Right now I have the Innovis 4000D. I have had wonderful machines. Only 1 with a major problem, my dealer couldnt fix it, sent if off (to where ever)and after they sent it back it I never had another issue with it. Worked great. These machines are work horses. I have a Pfaff also and to me the Brother and Babylock machines are the most user friendly (my granddaughter who is 9 uses mine with great sucess). I also have great dealer support. And like everyone always says thats one of the most important thing about machines.

Enjoy your new machine

Pat

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 4
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 12:36:55 PM   
Bobette

I have been sewing with Bernina's for over 30 years. I know that probably doesn't help you, but I just don't know enough about any other machine to comment. None of my friends do machine embroidery. That
s one reason why I come here for all the people.

I must agree on a good dealer as well.

Shane - what model or models do you have? I still have my 930, 180 and now my 730. Can't really afford the 830, but I'm sure it is an awesome machine.

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 5
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 12:40:27 PM   
Penny Hal

I bought an used machine because I couldn't afford one of the newer models. A lot of people sell their old machines to trade up to a newer model even though the old machine works fine. So you might consider doing that too. I have a Bernina ME too. I'm not so wild about it. It's finicky about threads and for getting the fabric on/in the hoop is difficult for me. The regular sewing part of the machine is good. But I have to say, the dealer makes all the difference in the world.

Penny

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 6
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 12:51:01 PM   
Andsewforthjm

Debi,
I have a Quattro and just love it. It can't be beat for embroidery. I had an Ellegante & would have probably traded it in for the Ellissimo but the Baby Lock dealer here is terrible so I sold the Ellegante and bought the Quattro. The dealer is fantastic. As the others have said, there's nothing more important than the dealer. Good luck with your decision.
Janet

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 1:14:18 PM   
newmexicomama

I've been a Bernina for over 35 years and haven't owned anything else.  I have the old 830 which still sews beautifully, a Bernina serger, a 180E and a new 830.  I love the new 830 and the jumbo hoop.  It's much easier to use than the old hoops.  And my feet from the 180 fit the new 830.  I quilt and it's wonderful to be able to fit a queen size quilt and have plenty of room.  I don't know about the other machines but if you quilt, the new 830 has plenty of space.
Lanny

(in reply to Andsewforthjm)
Post #: 8
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 2:30:41 PM   
shebru

Would LOVE to have the Bernina 830, I just have the 200e with upgrade to be like 730.  I have been so impressed with it, it was my first new machine in 33 years and I love it and find it easy to use, not finicky and pretty much trouble free. However I that is me just tooting how wonderful I have found my earlier model.

Along with DEALER being KEY, there is one other thing that doesn't get mentioned often and I think it helps elminate indecision.  All the dealers should not only demo the machine to you, but they should allow you to sit down and run it.  both regular sewing and embroidery.  We all learn on different machines, and while they are similar they are different.  Somethings we can adjust to more easily and somethings we will always struggle with.  For example the Viking I believe always lifts the foot when you quit sewing (you probably can program it to not but I don't know for sure) and that was something I knew immediately I would not adjust to even thou I could see some real positive merit to it doing so.   Pay attention to how much fiddling is required by the person showing you, if produces lovely results but you had to fiddle with this and that, then this and finally that each and every time trust me it will be daunting and you won't use it.  I can't stress enough how important ease of use is.  Watching someone zip thru several steps will quickly lose you and when you get home you will be lost and frustrated........ Don't be afraid to sit down at the machine and try doing some stuff so you get the "feel" of it.

Second, pick something you have had difficulty in the past performing with your sewing machine and ask to try it.  For example I am picky about button holes, the best ones I ever saw were the ones made by the old straight stitch singers with the attachment you used the cams in.  When I went looking, the only machine that produced the results I was interested in was the Bernina.  I like a button hole double stitched and most machine do OKAY for a first pass, but can not seem to repeat exactly around the hole a second time.  That being a pet peeve of mine, it was important.  Ironically I have not made one button hole since I got my new sewing machine six years ago!

Good luck with your decesion and know that if you are happy with it and it preforms in the way you want it to, you are well supported by your dealer, you made the right decision no matter the brand.  I truthfully don't believe I would be happy with anything but a Bernina, but I have seen people that have other brands and are over the top in love with them....  produce lovely projects..... and wouldn't trade them for anything...... ;-)

Shel
http://imageevent.com/shebru/sewingstuff;jsessionid=ukgakpqjn1.eagle_s

(in reply to newmexicomama)
Post #: 9
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 2:42:10 PM   
shanedel

Bobette ~ I currently have the 200E - that 830 is way more machine than I need! - but have had the 180, 1630, 1530, and 930.  I was a dealer for the 930 "era" and wish I still had it, what a workhorse!  I do have a little 801 Sport that is a real sweetheart - only 7 stitches, a mechanical, but it is a backup, and I have all the feet.  I also have an old 2000DE serger.  I just bought my daughter a 635E and she's loving it.  I'm definitely a Bernina moonie!

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to shebru)
Post #: 10
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 2:47:12 PM   
Gone Sewing

I have the Ellisamo....love it...
camera...haven't used it yet...upgrade...haven't bought it yet

very nice machine...

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 11
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 6:00:34 PM   
embmimi

I've owned 2 Babylocks in the past, and loved them. I have Janome right now, and thinking about selling it and getting another Babylock. I just miss those extra long hoops. The Ellisimo is the higher priced one so I'm thinking about the Ellegeo Plus - if DH cooperates. LOL

(in reply to Gone Sewing)
Post #: 12
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 6:02:03 PM   
Sheriann Sews

I have an Ellisimo, I am soooo impressed by this machine!! I do have the upgrade and wow, it is awesome. This machine is solid as a tank! LOL One thing that impresses me so much is how many feet come with this machine!! I have only purchased 3 feet since I bought her in late November '10. Everything about this machine is absolutely top notch. When you purchase this machine there is so little left for you to purchase in accessories! Babylock includes soooo much and the feet and accessories are much lower cost than my HV machines!
Whatever you purchase I wish you hours and hours of Happy Sewing Fun!!

Sew Sincerely,
Sheriann
Brand spankin' new Babylock Ellisimo (Miss Elli) ~ Designer1 ESS ( Miss Emmi)~ Babylock Imagine (Miss Maggie)~ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle (Miss Mary)
In Memory of our beloved Golden Retriever, Shi.

(in reply to Gone Sewing)
Post #: 13
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/21/2011 7:06:11 PM   
valdiva

I have both the Quattro & the 830. Always consider dealer support. No matter how wonderful a machine is, 99.9% of the time each individual machine has its own "personality". Which could mean trips to the dealer & you want to get all the bugs out of the machine while it is under warranty. Don't think you can conquer everything without dealer support - it just doesn't work that way! Also classes - I learn so much that is not in a manual in classes, although the Bernina Webinair are generally informative. The Quattro is more learner friendly while you are getting to know the machine, especially if you have had any other emb machine. But I hate having to take the emb foot off the shank to change feet...small, but an annoyance to me. The 830 does have a learning curve, but I feel it has the best emb quality in any of the machines I have had. Quattro feet have a better price point. But I have a 180 in a closet (for sale!) & was able to use some of those on the 830, so if you have any Bernina feet, they still may be usable. Consider hoop size. I feel the largest Quattro hoop is too small (but I love the 8 x 8 hoop) & the Bernina hoops (except for the mega hoop) are too narrow. As a generalization I would say Bernina has always been higher price in accessories. Guesing in your heart, you are inclined to one of your choices & you have to be content in your decision. Be painfully honest with yourself about dealer, classes, learning curve, hoop size, & $$ "upkeep". A major decison, but shopping is half the fun! Nice for us to have options...enjoy.

(in reply to Sheriann Sews)
Post #: 14
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/22/2011 1:37:59 PM   
Penny Hal

I still have my machine with cams! I thought I was the only one in the world that still has cams. Yes, great buttonholes!

Penny

(in reply to valdiva)
Post #: 15
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/22/2011 3:05:57 PM   
shebru

The BESTEST button holes in the whole world!   I have two of them, and several cams....hard to beat the look of them......  You know, now that I think about it, they were actually the front runner for the embroidery model!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 16
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/22/2011 4:11:54 PM   
Bobette

When my sister-in-law died, I got her Singer machine and it has a buttonholer, and cams. Also, it has its own sewing table. I have never opened it up and tried it. I always have wanted to, but you know how that goes!! We all seen to be so busy.I may have to do that and check out that buttonholer. I have quite a few buttonholes to do on the jon-jon/shirt combo and a toddler dress. In my early Bernina years, I had a buttonholer for it. Might have been the first 830. In all honesty, I don't do as much sewing as I used to, although I am trying to get a blouse sewn for myself for Easter. Will have to use Featherweight or the other Singer.

(in reply to shebru)
Post #: 17
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/22/2011 9:57:51 PM   
mizlilly

We had a green, straight stitch only Singer, circa 1958? Maybe 59? No cams. I hand finished seams with some pretty irregular looking "zigzag stitching." And I did buttonholes by hand. Badly. Then when I was about 14 (this is a long, long, long time after 1958 girls... seriously!) we got a buttonholer for the machine. It attached like a foot I think and with a fork that went over the needle clamp. It held the fabric firmly and the whole thing moved back and forth and up and down and it made beautiful buttonholes. As far as I know my mother still has it, though I fear it may have lacked several decades of TLC!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 18
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/23/2011 10:00:08 AM   
Betsy

I have an Ellisimo & absolutely love it! It embroiders beautifully & also stitches beautifully. I did buy it used so it came with no "dealer support" but there are babylock dealers in the area should I need something done. I do like the way the Berninas can change feet so rapidly. To me the difference between the Quattro & Ellisimo are the extra designs. If you like or want Disney go for the Quattro! Just my 2 cents!

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 19
RE: Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the ques... - 4/23/2011 12:10:19 PM   
shebru

Mizlilly, the buttonholer attachment you are correct had a fork that went on the needle clamp.  It probably had cams, you might of been too young (do you like that?) and just didn't know it.  And maybe cams aren't the right word...it was a metal (on the old one, newer ones were plastic) die of a predetermined button hole size and style.  Some had a rounded end almost like a round button hole and then a normal end at the other end.  You lifted the top up (it was hinged) inserted the cam in, closed the top and it had a knob on top that your turned and it would go around the button hole so you could start it any where in the button hole you wanted.  Once you started sewing it would go around and around as many times as you wanted exactly in the same place over and over.  When I got my first machine that would automatically make a button hole I was so disappointed at it just wasn't as neat and precise. I then found out they still made the buttonholer mechanizm in a universal model that would fit on my machine that was capable of making button holes and work the same as the old singer one.  I was in seventh heaven!  I was a lot more into garmet sewing then....not so much now. If you mom still has it, I think they are pretty tough and it probably works fine.  BTW, I have one of the "green" singers to in a wood sewing cabinet no less that was my granny's.  In fact I was using it until I got my new Bernina, then I was so smitten did not ever use again!  But I do still love the cabinet, loved running it with my leg press and not my foot and loved opening the cabinet and closing it all down out of site and compact when done.

PS debi@thebeach, didn't mean to lasso your thread....just love some of the stuff about "old" machines and the inventiveness of people that rufuse to accept less than the best...which of course is what gets us to where we are today eh? 

(in reply to Betsy)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Quattro, Ellisimo or Bernina 830...that is the question? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy