Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

May I vent?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> May I vent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
May I vent? - 3/11/2014 1:21:41 PM   
MoDo

As most of you know, I am making dish towels for a friend of mine using Embroidery Library's Kitchen Herb Cameos, found here. I complained about how dense the lavender design was, having had trouble with the flowers.

Today I did what I thought was going to be one of the easiest of all--parsley. After all, it's just some leaves and tiny flowers, right? How wrong was I?! The needle broke; okay, happens occasionally. But then I had more thread breakage on this one design than all the others . Then a huge bird's nest! Why it was decided that the leaves had to be gone over about six or seven times is beyond me! It absolutely tore up my stabilizer.

But I soldiered on! The last straw, however, was when the tiny flowers were stitched--OFF PLACE!! Then I noticed two of the leaves are also off place! Good grief! I certainly can't give this to my friend!

I don't know whether to try again, or just choose a different design. I'm wondering, though, if the others will be any better, especially if they have flowers .

Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration .
Post #: 1
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 2:05:24 PM   
Grammie

Ohhhhhhh...I'd send this photo to EL and let them know of your troubles. They are very nice to work with.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 22 months to 21 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 11)!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 2:54:19 PM   
shebru

to me this looks like what I call a bar towel, that is a loose weave, and frankly I have not had good luck using them to embroider with any kind of design. The weave is just too lose combined with the loft of the towel spells disaster. If one were determined I suppose starching well, a heavy cut away and maybe... as well as a single hole stitch plate, but my experience has been these type of towels are best left unembroidered. They just have too much give in the fabric.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 2:59:23 PM   
shanedel

I agree with Grammie ~ contact EL and see what they have to say. I also agree with Shebru ~ thanks for the heads up and I will avoid those type towels from now on. Let us know what happens.

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to shebru)
Post #: 4
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 5:34:20 PM   
mari

I know a commercial embroiderer as a casual acquantance that has the professional software many thousands of dollars and full corel and all that jazz. I observed her one day out of curiosity while they were running the machines and she would zoom in on a design area before running it as she would do many items for an order with that design and she said she was looking for those intensive areas to remove the bad spots before a run. She said I don't have down time to waste on trouble like that. We all know what those areas are the machines run really rough and there is a hammering sound where things are bullet proof. She said no one ever misses those stitches as they are all on top of each other in too little space. If I run a dense design I will enlarge it without increasing the stitches but I usually don't know until it is stitched. The older I get the more I do a test on things that cost more than a $ or two sort of like I now make a fit muslin if I am sewing a new pattern. I've heard others say they adjust density on all EL designs. I do think they do better if hooped not stuck down with adhesive but that's my thought. It is really annoying to break needles and all that jazz not to mention ruined projects and damage to the machines.

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 5
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 5:43:28 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

HMMM - I use Gilette brand Barcloth towels all the time - I just soak them in home made starch first let them almost dry then iron dry - hoop - no other stabilizer the nap by that time is flat as a pancake.
With EL designs if it looks dense I buy one size smaller and size it up 10 to 15% I try to use same thread colour top and bottom.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 6
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 6:07:47 PM   
gmarshpchef

If you happen to have the Floriani software, you could 'run it thru it' to ck stitches etc. Also, since this is a somewhat 'airy' design, if you have a 50 or 60 weight thread,
you might try it on a sample of similar fabric.

gmarshpchef

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 7
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 7:06:29 PM   
MoDo

This isn't a bar towel--it is hucktoweling, no nap. This is the sixth one I've done. The easiest one was the "rosemary" ... no flowers, just stems and leaves .

My software is 4D Embroidery Extra. If someone could explain how to "un-dense" the design I will certainly give it a try . I'm thankful these are a "just-because" gift and not for a special occasion with a deadline . I may never stitch these again!

(in reply to gmarshpchef)
Post #: 8
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 7:34:58 PM   
Daylily430

MoDo, in 4D suite, there is a Design Optimizer module where you can see the design and the density of different areas.The module will remove the extra stitches making the design not as dense and "optimizing" the stitch-out. I don't know whether this is included in Embroidery Extra. Floriani software will do the same. If you have that module in 4D, all you do is open the design in that part of the program, click, and it's done! EL designs tend to be "bulletproof" at times, but I have never had a problem to the extent that you seem to have had. Good luck.

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seams-and-Finishes/157666877771258

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 9
RE: May I vent? - 3/11/2014 11:56:58 PM   
MoDo

Hmm ... I don't see anything named Design Optimizer in my 4D, but I'll have a good look through it tomorrow. Thanks, Ellen.

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 10
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 9:24:45 AM   
Linda S.

MoDo, I realize this is a problem you want to fix and master, but honestly I still think the towel is beautiful. Unless one does machine embroidery (and very few do), they're not going to look at anything in this design as a mistake but rather a stylized version of this flower. Hope you get it all figured out : )

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 11
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 11:57:04 AM   
Sparkle

I embroider on that type towel all the time, like Shirley I starch them as stiff as I can but I just use 2-3 applications of spray starch and I use a medium or light weight tear away stabiliser. And I agree - contact EL. Those are old designs and EL's designs used to be super-dense but now not so much. Now, if you didn't have the towel starched and it got loose from the stabiliser it maybe could have shifted a bit, enough to throw the design off kilter. What a bummer!!! But yeah, I wouldn't give that towel to anybody, either, too many mistakes. I would use it myself, tho.

Another thing with the old EL designs - they used to build up layer upon layer of different shades of thread to give depth to the design, you can easily go in, watch the design stitch out and remove some of those excess layers that don't really make a difference or show anyway.

Barbara O.
Fine Stitchery
http://finestitchery.com/

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 12:40:51 PM   
Penny Hal

I do what Shirley does...buy a size smaller then increase the size without increasing the density.

In Embird, you uncheck the "adjust stitch density when resizing" box when you do what Shirley does.

Otherwise, you should have a function to set the density in your software somewhere!

Penny

(in reply to Sparkle)
Post #: 13
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 2:51:30 PM   
LisaSewCute

I have had a similar problem with the last stitches not aligning, but it is usually because a very dense design pulls the fabric in tighter and when you stitch the later stitches, they go in the wrong place. I wonder if a heavy tear-away with a WSS topper would help?? It is very pretty to me and I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong if you didn't point it out. Of course, if I did it, it would bother me, too- we are our own worst critics!

Lisa, Mom to Peter (18), Kathryn (16), Rose (14), David (9) & Andrew (4)
Blog: http://mommysapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mommys-Apron-Strings/639644296061029?ref=hl
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/mommysapron

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 14
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 3:30:13 PM   
KarenVA

Sometimes you need several layers of stabilizer for a dense design. If you use the mesh-type of stabilizer, lay the first piece of stabilizer vertically and the second one horizontally--so the "grain" goes in different directions and makes for more stability.

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to LisaSewCute)
Post #: 15
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 4:18:35 PM   
MoDo

Thank you all for responding . I opened the design in my 4D and magnified it up real close; the stitching is not really dense on this design. The mystery may have been solved, though! While at Jo-Ann today, I told my Viking rep about this. She told me that after I removed the hoop to fix the bird's nest, I should have recalibrated the machine. I thought if I did that I'd have to go through all the stitches again, but she said the machine (Designer Diamond) remembers the last stitch of the design you were working on! She said it's probable that if I had recalibrated, then put the hoop back on and clicked on (whatever it was I am supposed to click on ... hmmm) the machine would have gone back to the last stitch and continued on.

So, it would seem the design doesn't match up because the machine was off either after the needle broke, or after the bird's next ... perhaps both. I shall give the design another go and hope for the best . Stay tuned !

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 16
RE: May I vent? - 3/12/2014 5:39:46 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

That would not have helped if you had a birds nest - what I do is write down the stitch number - remove the hoop and take care of any mess on the bottom - then I back up sometimes you have to back up quite a bit and sometimes the thread is getting caught and pulling the fabric out of perfect alignment so even calibrating might not help because the fabric might have shifted even a minute bit. It wont b e enough to just continue from the last stitch even if the fabric hasn't pulled you would need to back up to take care of all that thread removed from thread nest. My best advise after starching stiff as a board is absolute silence just you and the machine you actually can hear when the thread starts to nest there is an every so faint change of stitching noise of course you have to really know your machine and how it sounds and REACT immediately - stop remove hoop take a peek is everything look ok - sometimes I HEAR something amuck like the sound it makes when the thread is shredding yeah it makes a noise - really really listen

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 17
RE: May I vent? - 3/13/2014 7:24:00 AM   
mizlilly

Drats, I just hate it when stuff like this happens! Most people wouldn't notice, but of course you know it is not the way it is supposed to be! I hope that you give it another try and that it stitches out fine and was just the bird's nest problem etc. I had one design, an OESD that ended up partially misaligned... still a mystery how that happened for sure. Stitched it again and it was fine!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkerpaws

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 18
RE: May I vent? - 3/13/2014 8:09:56 PM   
MoDo

Okay, I tried to stitch the parsley design again. I drenched the towel front and back with undiluted liquid starch from a spray bottle. I put medium-weight tear-away stabilizer on the bottom and Sulky WSS on the top (probably didn't need the WSS, but what the heck). Needless to say I was nervous . I had to keep telling myself to breathe! And ...

success . Woohoo!! Six towels down, one to go! I will post a photo of all of them when I finish up tomorrow!

(in reply to mizlilly)
Post #: 19
RE: May I vent? - 3/13/2014 8:21:32 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Congratulations, MoDo!! I knew you could do it. Your posts make me smile:)

Barbara

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> May I vent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2014 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy